Subject: Re: What is a "Printer description file"?
To: Marc Coevoet <mcv@wanadoo.be>
From: Randy Beaudreault <maccult@pacbell.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/25/2001 10:53:55
>Hi,
>
>I have a IIsi running netbsd, serial connected with a PostScript
>Laserwriter Select 310.  The netbsd box is running appletalk,
>as well file server as print server.  On the client mac, I can
>select the printer.  When the printer is selected I see I can
>modify things by an "Options" button.  The client mac investigates
>the printer via the network, but doesn't get any info.  The
>client mac asks for a "printer description file".  What is this?
>Where can I find such a thing for the Select 310?  I can print
>without doing these settings, but I suppose things would go better
>when I have this printer description file
>

>Marc

You need a PPD (Postscript Printer Description) file and you choose
that from a list on your client Mac in the Chooser under "Options".
--
Randy Beaudreault

"Spam in a can" - a description of the first astronauts

"Love is like solving the perfect murder.  It's good to be good,
but better to be lucky" - Det. Frank Pembleton
 From the show, "Homicide: Life On The Street"