Subject: Re: PPP Joy; she dials!
To: Matthew <mtheobalds@mac.com>
From: Bruce Anderson <brucea@shell.spacestar.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/17/2001 22:56:02
On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 3:29 PM, Hauke Fath
<mailto:hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE> wrote:
>>> I seem to be getting lots of these silo overflows. However, I have the
>>> serial port speed set to "56700", should I decrease this? Will that not
>>> throttle my modem even more than now?
>
>"Depends".
>
>Make sure you operate with hardware handshake - Macintoshes can do either
>line control (DTR) or flow control (RTS) because they have only one
>outgoing handshake line which is wired with both DTR and RTS in "hardware
>handshake" modem cables. Make sure the modem ignores DTR -- usually AT
&D0.

>Use a lower MTU in your ppp setup to lose fewer data from a dropped byte.
>
>I had a IIci running with an ISDN modem (max. 8 KByte/sec, interface speed
>115KBit/sec) for a long time, and performance was fine as long as there
>were no disk accesses.
>
>I have my Q700 set up as a slip gateway for an old 486 notebook - again
>with 115 KBit/sec. I see the occasional silo overrun, but no big problems.

Note: default delay for RTS-to-CTS on most modems is
10ms or more.  To reduce overflows and improve thruput
change the  RTS-to-CTS delay for the modem with: S26=0
(Check your modem manual. Default:S26=1 [10 ms]
for my Zoom56k modem).

" Stamp out root logins .  .  .  . su "   --Bruce Anderson
 This message was created and sent using Cyberdog 2.0, MacOS 8.6,
 awk, find, sed, sendmail, sh, and NetBSD a free Multi-Platform OS.
 NetBSD runs on  44 different system architectures featuring 16
 distinct families of CPUs.   http://www.netbsd.org/