Subject: Re: PPP Joy; she dials!
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/17/2001 18:06:16
On Monday, October 15, 2001, at 06:13  pm, Matthew wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Just a note to let you know that Bob Nestor (thankyou so much!) worked
> out what the problem was.
>
> I needed to send the "AT&D" command to the modem. The modem, and IPNAT
> now works wonderfully, serving my whole network. :]
>
> Well... nearly wonderfully. ;]
>
> Having done various searches, and from this list, it seems everyone
> finds PPP to be a shade slow on NetBSD/mac68k. Or perhaps not?
>
> I certainly am finding it a little slow, downloading things seems to
> really throttle the connection.
>
> Oct 15 18:08:34 sonic /netbsd: zstty0: 6 silo overflows, 0 ibuf floods
> Oct 15 18:10:15 sonic /netbsd: zstty0: 22 silo overflows, 0 ibuf floods
>
> I seem to be getting lots of these silo overflows. However, I have the
> serial port speed set to "56700", should I decrease this? Will that not
> throttle my modem even more than now?
>
> I believe also that the "AT&R" command may make it work better? Will it
> matter if I put this before or after the "AT&D" command in the dial
> string?
>
> Should I make my own cable rather than this strange adaptor thing?
>
> Any other comments?
>
> It's a Quadra 650, by the way.
>
> Thanks for your help, all.
>
> ~ Matthew

Okay... So, looks like there's no way to make it more acceptable!

Fortunately, a friend and I built a PC from bits which we had around our
respective bedroom floors (more from his than mine), and I now have an
i386 NetBSD machine, which seems pretty good.

PPP is faultless, so it looks like I'll be putting PPP duties onto that
one and using the other machine elsewhere.

Purely out of curiosity, now, can anyone explain why the performance
isn't on par with that which Mac OS could provide on the same hardware?

Take care,

~ Matthew