Subject: Re: Just starting out, need some advise
To: E. G. Finegan <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: John Ruschmeyer <jruschme@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/14/2001 18:59:22
> From: "E. G. Finegan" <edfinegan@mac.com>
> Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 15:53:49 -0400
> To: port-mac68k@netbsd.org
> Subject: Just starting out, need some advise
>
> I'm thinking about taking my old performa 637 and putting netbsd on it.
> All I want to use it for is ftp, web serving running apache, and if
> possible file sharing to windows and mac systems. In general however it
> would receive rather light use. It currently has the 68LC040 which I was
> going to replace with a real 68040 off ebay. I also was going to remove
> the 350MB hard disk and replace it with one 1-4GB. I also need to find
> an ethernet card. I have seen most of these upgrades on ebay for very
> little, but as far as the ethernet card I'm not sure which were
> compatible with netbsd. If anyone has an ideas for me, or things that
> I've over looked please let me know. I've done alot of reading on doing
> this but have not actually done so. If any of my plans are not possible,
> I would be grateful for you input.

Apple NICs are always a good bet. :-) So are Asante and Macsense (Xsense).
I'm less sure about Dayna. LC PDS cards are definately cheaper than the comm
slot ones, but you may want to go CS and leave the PDS free for future use.

The stickler with a 630 series Quad/Performa is the IDE disk. There are
patches to support the controller and device in the kernel, but nothing for
the installer. At a minimum, you'd want to install to an external SCSI drive
and either run from it permanently or until you can hack some filesystems on
the IDE drive.

<<<john>>>