Subject: Re: PPP woes; won't dial.
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/13/2001 01:33:42
On Saturday, October 13, 2001, at 12:40  am, Bob Nestor wrote:

>> So it seems that the modem is very broken. Should I return it and
>> request a replacement?
>
> Not yet.  The ATDT does "tone" dialing using the same tones as the
> keypad
> on a touch tone phone.  Here in the US touch tone is usually an option.
> If you don't have it you have the old pulse dial phones.  Most modems
> that support the Hayes command set can be directed to use pulse dialing
> with an ATDP command.  You might try that.
>
> I'd also try connecting to the modem with tip or cu or better yet bring
> up MacOS and use something like Zterm.  See what the modem responds to
> and figure out what you need to send it to get it to work the way you
> want.  From that you can construct your own script under NetBSD.

The telephone line which it is connected to definitely works as a Tone
line. Anyhow, I tried it both ways using cu -p modem. I have quite an
interesting set of results.

Basically, the modem works fine (it even picked and hung up for me) for
everything except 'ATD*'

Check out this little log from 'cu':

ATZ
OK
AT&F
OK
ATDT08400	# tone dial
ERROR
ATDP3434	# pulse dial
ERROR
ATH1	# pick up receiver
OK
ATH0	# hang up receiver
OK
ATD		# it just hates trying to dial anything!
ERROR

Crazy, eh?

I have a friend that I may be able to test it with, actually. If his
modem works with NetBSD, and my modem with his Windows machine we may be
able to swap, if mine doesn't work with his, then I'll send it back...
that seems like fair compromise.

Before then, if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for your help here,

~ Matthew