Subject: Re: PPP Setup
To: Randy Beaudreault <maccult@pacbell.net>
From: Shigeki UNO <shigeki@mediawars.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 10/11/2001 23:30:12
On Sat, Oct 06, 2001 at 03:32:02PM -0700,
 Randy Beaudreault wrote:

> I'm trying to set up ppp according to instructions in the faq but I'm
> not able to get it up and running according to the information in the
> faq.  I want to take this one step at a time.  The first thing I have
> to do is get the modem to go on hook.  I can't get that to happen
> now.  What pppd command could I use to test my modem?

I'm afraid the following isn't the instructions which is in the FAQ,
but as far as I'm concerned, It works fine. Therefore why don't you give
it a try ?

 --------- dial-up setup (pppd)-----------

  # mkdir /etc/ppp
  # touch /etc/ppp/options
  # mkdir /etc/ppp/peers

  # vi /etc/ppp/peers/pacbell

       tty00 57600
       crtscts
       modem
       lock
       defaultroute
       connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chat-pacbell'
       noauth

    (you want to save it with command "ZZ" or ":w!ZZ")

  # vi /etc/ppp/chat-pacbell

       ABORT "NO CARRIER"
       ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
       ABORT "ERROR"
       ABORT "NO ANSWER"
       ABORT "BUSY"
       ABORT "Username/Password Incorrect"
       "" "AT"
       OK "ATZ"
       OK "ATDPphone-number" ("ATDTphone-number" in case of tone dial phone)
       "login:" "your-login-name"
       "word:"  "your-password"

     (you want to save it with command "ZZ" or ":w!ZZ")

When you want to connect to your ISP, just type

  % pppd call pacbell

When you want to disconnect to your ISP, just type

  % kill `cat /var/run/ppp0.pid`

If you don't want to execute these commands by hand, I'll recommend you to
put'em to window manager's config file such as .fvwm2rc or something like
that. And also, please take a look at "man pppd". It has good examples in
it.

That's all.

> P. S. I'll have more things after I get my modem to dial.

Good luck.

Hope this helps,
---
Shigeki UNO