Subject: FPU_EMULATE term in options(8) for mac68k
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Matteo Salsilli <macinteo@yahoo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/26/2001 19:59:28
in the operation of compilin the netbsd kernel, I found one term that I
do not clearly understand: it's "FPU_EMULATE".

"man options" explains the "FPU_EMULATE" kernel compiling option in this
way:
      options FPU_EMULATE
      Include support for MC68881/MC68882 emulator.

where or what is this "emulator"? is it a set of instruction used by the
CPU of those mc68020/mc68030 machines that do not have a phisical FPU?
is it something like a mode activated by the built-in math coprocessor
of the 68040?

I ask these for I'd like to know if I really need this support in two
kernels: one specialized for a mc68040 Quadra700 and one for a
mc68030+68882FPU Mac SE/30.

Matteo.