Subject: Re: Yikes! Stuck...
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/24/2001 11:06:18
On Sep 24,  9:13am, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Space Case wrote:
>> /: bad dir ino 2 at offset 0: mangled entry
>> Yet, fsck finds nothing wrong with the filesystem.  Does this mean my
>> filesystem is a level greater than the installer can grok?
>Probably. If you have a spare partition anywhere, you could build a
>file system with the installer that it can understand.

Alas, there are no spare partitions on this disk.

>> In any case, I'm stuck.  I can't get new data into the system, and can't
>> make what's there go.
>The booter can boot from a kernel in the HFS partition. There's a box
>to check to make it prompt for a file-system, so then you'd say "sd0a"
>or whatever and proceed.

Yah, I've been booting HFS kernels.  But there's still only the one
partition available.

>Another possibilty... "ifconfig" and "mount_nfs" are in "/sbin".

Yes, I've been able to configure the interface.  But I have no other
systems with mac68k on them. :(   Hmmm...  I do have a couple other Unix
boxes (netbsd/i386 and irix), one of which might be persuaded to work.

>Still another, the "sysinstall" kernel has a menu to configure the
>network, and "nfs" capability, and "ftp" too. Again, you'd boot from
>the MacOS side.

Ah, that'll be worth trying, too.

And having thought some more about it last night, and having spotted a spare
disk laying around, it occurred to me that I can install on that disk and
use it to repair my main disk.  It's all a matter of cables and room...

So, I'm going to try, in order:
NFS mount
sysinstall
spare disk

I'll let y'all know how it goes.  It'll be a day or two before I can get
to it (other projects), so there'll likely be no snapshot this week...

Thanks,
~Steve

--
Steve Allen - wormey@eskimo.com   http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/   ICQ 6709819

	-Kyle Hearn  <kyle@intex.net>

Paul's Law:
	In America, it's not how much an item costs, it's how much you
	save.