Subject: Re: No GENERICSBC kernel for 1.5.2 -- why?
To: Matthew <mtheobalds@mac.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/23/2001 12:41:57
On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Matthew wrote:

> On Sunday, September 23, 2001, at 03:51  pm, Hauke Fath wrote:
>
> > trying to upgrade a Macintosh IIsi to 1.5.2, I saw that the newest patch
> > release only ships with one kernel. The IIsi has an old DEC DSP3107LS
> > 1GB
> > harddisk, and while the GENERIC 1.5.2 kernel booted up fine, I found it
> > impossible to unpack the binary tarballs without data corruption.
> > Building
> > an sbc kernel fixed that.

> I'd second that, and I wondered this myself, as I've been installing on
> a disk which requires an SBC kernel.
>
> It has, if I remember correctly, been like this since 1.5.1, and if
> there is no good reason for it, probably ought to be changed.

GENERICSBC and INSTALLSBC were added in current, but never on
netbsd-1-5. The proper thing, is to see that a change is tested on
current before requesting a pull-up to the branch. I'm not, however,
running current, and I don't see any complete snapshots of
current/mac68k on ftp.netbsd.org, either, which is not encouraging.
Has anyone tried a "make release" on mac68k lately (or ever)?

Frederick