Subject: Re: No GENERICSBC kernel for 1.5.2 -- why?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/23/2001 13:08:43
> > but others don't. Given how many times people with disk-related problems
> > have been pointed to SBC kernels by list members, I strongly doubt
> > shipping
> > only a kernel with the ncrscsi driver is a wise move.
> >
> > Comments? If I see none, I shall send-pr the issue.
>
> I'd second that, and I wondered this myself, as I've been installing on
> a disk which requires an SBC kernel.
>
> It has, if I remember correctly, been like this since 1.5.1, and if
> there is no good reason for it, probably ought to be changed.

I'd really like to know WHY there is a different driver for NCR and for
SBC. Is there a compelling reason for not selecting a driver based upon
the model of the Mac? I can say for certain that no Quadra that I have
worked with (605, 610, 650, 700, 800, 950, Centrises, Quadra 660AV, 840AV)
ever needed an SBC kernel, so perhaps they're appropriate for m68030 Macs,
such as the IIsi and IIci.

So why not have a kernel with both drivers that selects the driver at boot
time based on the model?

John Klos