Subject: Re: weird problem, ethernet no longer working after RAM upgrade
To: Henry B. Hotz <jim@reptiles.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/12/2001 19:58:08
At 2:57 PM -0700 9/9/01, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>At 9:50 PM -0400 9/7/01, Jim Mercer wrote:
>>firguring that 20M RAM was not going to be good, i put a 32M simm in, and
>>rebooted.
>
>You know that SIMMs need to be put in in blocks of matching sizes?
>
>I don't know about the LS5xx, but I know on the older models that
>use 32-pin SIMMs they come in blocks of 4.

No, RAM must be put in so that the memory bus width matches the depth
of the SIMM(s) ;-)

68040 computers using 30 pin SIMMs need them to be added in sets of 4
because the SIMMs are nX8 bits and the data bus is 32 bits wide. 72
pin SIMM, however are 32 bits wide, so they already match the bus
width.

Of course I'm ignoring the fact that the SIMMs, with parity, can be 9
bits and 36 bits, since only 1 Mac model used those to my
knowledge...MacOS works just fine with Parity RAM...it just ignores
the extra bits.

LC575 uses 72pin SIMMs, so it only needs 1 per bank. The LC575
actually has only one slot, which is why he pulled the 16MB SIMM in
order to put in the 32MB SIMM (4MB is on the MB).

I have an LC 575, but it still has the original LC040, so I haven't
touched it with NetBSD & just use it in MacOS. Have you removed &
reseated the Comm Slot Ethernet card on your LC?

Sorry I can't be more help,
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.