Subject: Re: Booting with a floppy WITHOUT ejecting
To: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/12/2001 08:02:10
At 15:44 Uhr +0200 11.9.2001, Joe Laffey wrote:
>On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Hauke Fath wrote:
>I think you have a good point. If the user is going to leave a floppy in
>the drive why enable floppy support in the kernel? My hope was that they
>could, if needed, eject the disk with the eject command. However, now that
>I am trying I do not seem to be able to get that to work. (I have not
>looked through the code to see why.)

"eject floppy" should work.

>Do you think something like this is safely possible? Or would you stick
>with your previous suggestion of disabling the floppy support?

Depending on your definition of "safely"... I don't know, offhand, if the
driver will actually try to write stuff on a disk with a HD hole. The drive
hardware does certainly not prohibit this. You'll get tons of errors trying
to read from a MFM HD disk (HFS or no), so you are probably "safe" from
that side.

Try things out, keep a disk image of the MacOS boot disk -- and don't
forget to tell the results.  ;)

	hauke