Subject: No host data via modem
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Bivans <mbivans@rpco2.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/10/2001 10:39:31
	I've been working, for a couple weeks now, on setting up a
Centris 650 to act as a PPP gateway for my home network.  All appears
wonderful with the installation, even got X running, but I'm stuck
because I can't seem to get the modem to cooperate.  What's happening is
that I can talk dirrectly to the modem, via cu, kermit, and chat, but I
never receive anything from the host.  The modem is a 3COM/USR 56K
FaxModem, which can connect fine via MacOS, and even WinNT.
Unfortunately my Mac literacy is ~ 4 years old so I'm not up on the
latest diagnostics tools for mac, but I've put the modem on my WinNT x86
system and monitored the port activity while manually logging on to my
ISP.  It works fine without any special init string:

ATZ
OK
ATDT6948000
OK
CONNECT 9600<some connect info I don't remember exactly>
<now the host chimes in>

On NetBSD I can do the AT commands and get the CONNECT message back, but
nothing thereafter.  I can see the 'Send Data' LED on the modem flash
when characters are transmitted, but I never see anything in return.

I've tried toggling on and off rts/cts control, changing the port speed
set in the booter, Paul Goyette's PPP setup, but I'm running out of
things to try.  Any suggestions?

thanks,

Matthew Bivans
Software Programmer