Subject: Re: Backup strategy for my BSD-Box?
To: Alexander Klein <Alexander.Klein@math.uni-giessen.de>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/21/2001 14:29:00
> Hi!

Hello,

> Having added more and more stuff to my BSD-System, I wonder what I should
> do to backup my data.
>
> I've already taken a look at the various types of streamers, but given
> their usually high price, it doesn't really seem that I want one.

I'm quite happy with the older 4mm tape drives. I have two - one 2 gig and
one 4 gig (twice that capacity, they say, with compression).

They can be had on eBay for very little money; I think the last time I
looked the same model of 2 gig (uncompressed) HP tape drive was about $35.
The tapes are really cheap, too - I got 20 tapes for $10.

> Is it possible to use a CD-RW drive for backup purposes without any major
> trouble?

Certainly! You'd probably want to find or write a few scripts to chop up
the data and do things like incremental backups, but you always have the
advantage that the disks will work anywhere.

John Klos