Subject: Re: cc fatal signals
To: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/10/2001 18:09:29
On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 01:13:05PM -0700, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
> How much swap do you have configured? I compiled my kernel with 32MB of RAM,
> and I have another 128MB of swap. I like big swap allocations, since you'll
> never know when you'll need them or when a memory leak will ruin your day.

Ugh. Hope you're not using a kernel with UBC. If you are, that's why
interactive performance in X is so slow when you're, say, burning
a CD-R.

Having ludicrously too much swap isn't such a good idea now that UBC
is in. It means you interactive processes will get "reclaimed" a
little too easily.

> How are you getting this figure?

dmesg, clearly.

> > How can I get all 8MB to be used?

You can't. That's how much memory the kernel wired for its own data
structures. Add more RAM.

Well... I guess you can, actually. Trim useless stuff out of your
kernel (PCIVERBOSE and kin, usb everything, presuming you don't have
any USB stuff on that machine).

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net