Subject: Ethernet connection failure
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/16/2001 19:35:31
This is not strictly NetBSD, but you guys are experienced with
ethernet, which I am not, and I am quite at my wit's end!

I am trying to set up a ethernet LAN, all Macs, and everything goes
fine until I try to connect through a cable I put in the wall. It is
a CAT-5 8 connector coble, but only the usual ethernet pairs are
being usied (1&2, 3&6). The twisted pairs are unshielded.

When I hitched it up originally, it worked! And at 100BT rate too.
Then the following day it ceased working, and I have not got it
working after a week of effort.

I am using a Tangerine iMac at the other end, but it isn't the computer because
1) I wheeled it into the other room & connected it directly to the
hum & it worked.
2) I put another computer, which worked when used directly, into the
iMac room & it didn't work.

I have checked all the cables used, both by ohmmeter & by using them
for other connections.
I have checked the CAT-5 cable both by ohmmeter & by using a checkout meter.

The CAT-5 cable in the wall just refuses to connect, either to a
100BT hub or a 10BT hub.
It is only about 15 feet long.

I am using Mac OS 8.5.5 on the iMac, 8.6 on a 9500, 7.5.5 on a IIx
and a IIvx (the latter will be using NetBSD as soon as I get the rest
working.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan Killoran