Subject: Re: Serial ports
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Joseph <mjoecups@home.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/13/2001 20:09:49
OK,

I have implemented "Localtalk" networks, which at that time were known
as "appletalk" before it was abstracted to ethernet "ethertalk" etc.

I had a bunch of Mac XL's (xtra Lisa) hooked to Mac 512k's some upgraded
to 2meg of ram with Levco enterprises Monstermac.

I also had a pc on the Localtalk net with a card that had the SCC for
the original PC bus (PCmacbridge?).

Everybody could print to the Laserwriter (original) and Mac's could
share a Helix database.

Pretty rockin' for 1986.

My apparently faulty memory says that at the time the throughput was
128K bits per second.  But as far as I can tell, it does look like
230.4kbps is the hardware spec all macs with serial ports have shared
for localtalk.

I guess the IIci should actually be capable of communicating with the
stupid Epson 800 then(under netbsd)....

Marty