Subject: Re: IIx support?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/24/2001 14:35:30
At 5:55 Uhr +0200 24.5.2001, der Mouse wrote:
>> The IIci was the first Macintosh to ship with "32Bit clean" ROMs.
>> Mode32 detects that and disables itself.  (What did you expect?  It's
>> a Macintosh!)
>
>Actually, what I expected was a popup box saying that it was
>unnecessary or unusable on the IIci.  Perhaps it's designed for cases
>like this, for an installation that may be booted on hardware with or
>without 32-bit-clean ROMs.

System extensions ("INITs" in Macintosh lingo) usually show up with a cross
through their icon (red, if you've got colour) during boot if for whatever
reason they cannot properly load and install.

You wouldn't want a modal dialog freeze the boot process just because an
init is not applicable to your hardware - after all, you only lose a few
tenths of a second. This is not Windows NT, insisting to tell you upon
every boot with an alert that you've got a tape driver installed but no
drive attached....

	hauke