Subject: Re: IIx support?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/23/2001 02:45:14
>> [...IIci, happy...IIx, not happy...booter says "enable 32-bit
>> addressing", but it's not there...]
> For Macs without the 32-bit clean ROM, you need to get the System
> Extension called Mode32.  Last time I looked it was sitting on
> Apple's ftp site - free download.

Got it.

After various contortions, installed it.  (I had trouble getting it
into an HFS filesystem; the Installer doesn't grok my root FS and
crashed before giving me a chance to tell it to use the filesystem I
created with newfs -O in my swap partition.  I finally dumped it on a
zip disk, after struggling with partitioning the stupid thing.  It
seems the partitioner I have is rather brain-dead; it tends to
half-create partitions and leave things in a partially invalid mess.
But I finally managed it.  The .sea.bin file wasn't the self-extacting
archive it was supposed to be; I had to hit it with StuffIt Expander,
which I count myself fortunate I had around.  That created something
that *was* self-extracting.)

Then the next problem was that the video card in the IIx was not
recognized ("not configured") and the kernel panicked because it had no
console.  Telling the booter to use serial console fixed that, and that
finally made it come up to single-user on the IIx.

And, mirabilu dictu, the disk still boots fine on the IIci, without my
having to uninstall or even disable MODE32.  Someone must have done
something right.

Thanks to all of you, especially Paul Goyette, who gave me the critical
pointer to MODE32.  (And no thanks to whoever wrote the broken
partitioning utility I was trying to use to partition my zip disk!)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign