Subject: Re: Problems booting 1.5 on a Quadra 700
To: Rafael Hinojosa <rhinojo@sccs.swarthmore.edu>
From: Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/15/2001 17:07:25
At 9:26 AM -0400 5/15/2001, Rafael Hinojosa wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>I'm wondering if you all can provide me with some leads as to where I've
>gone wrong with this install.  Its a fairly new install of NetBSD 1.5 for
>the mac68k.  The machine is a Quadra 700 with about 20Mb of RAM.  I'm
>using a 40Mb Swap partition, a 500Mb Usr & Root partition, and a rather
>small partition for MacOS.
>
>One of the initial questions I have is, does it matter if partitions are
>formatted for either UNIX filesystem or AU/X?  I don't recall what type I
>initially formatted the drives for, but I did run Mkfs to convert them to
>proper BSD filesystems.  That might be the root of my problem.
>
>So, I've got this fresh new install (even remembered to make the devices).
>Sometimes, when I boot to NetBSD using the booter I get nothing.  No
>console text output, to text, nothing, just a white screen.  Other times,
>booting will work, to some extend as you will later read.
>
>One time, the machine hung on probing the adb bus (adb0).  It might be
>due to the fact that the Quadra 700 has 2 adb ports, and that I was using
>both of them.

This is a known problem with the Quadra 700 and 1.5.  You would have
read about this if you were subscribed to the list (hint, hint  ;-).
It will be fixed in 1.5.1 and may be fixed in some of the -current
kernels.   I have had the same problem with 1.4.2 on my Q700 and have
been waiting to upgrade as a result.  With 1.4.2 the fix was to
unplug the mouse before booting into NetBSD; it then boots fine but
you'll have no mouse for X.  If you don't use X, like me, it's not a
problem.  You might try this with 1.5 and see if it will complete the
boot process.