Subject: Re: More dumb Newbie trying to print questions...
To: Martin Joseph <mjoecups@home.com>
From: Ian Goldby <iangoldby@iangoldby.free-online.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/10/2001 22:14:34
Solved!!!! My mouse pointer was poised over the 'format disk' button, but I
thought 'one last-ditch attempt...'

The settings to get the Epson Stylus 740 to work with an LC475 and NetBSD 1.5
are:

stty 230400 raw -echo cstopb < /dev/tty01
stty ixon ixoff < /dev/tty01
/bin/echo -n "\r\r" > /dev/tty01

The last line is necessary to persuade the printer to enter xon/xoff hand-shaking
mode. This apparently won't happen if you immediately go into graphics mode
without first printing some plain ASCII text (and a carriage-return will do).

Anyway, I now have a rather smart tiger printed out, courtesy of GhostScript. I
used:

gs @stc500.upp -sOutputFile-tiger.stc tiger.ps -c quit
and then as root (I haven't set up any special permissions on /dev/tty01)

cp tiger.stc /dev/tty01

Came out quickly, no problems. So my NetBSD installation lives to fight another
day. Perhaps I'll even try tackling printcap and lpr soon. Now all I need to do
is get that scanner working and I'll have 75% of what I installed NetBSD for.

Ian