Subject: Re: LC-III Questions...
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: None <slumped@thekeyboard.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/23/2001 00:09:56
Hello Cameron!

  CK> I know the LC3's PDS slot is an extended connector but
    > I think the signals are compatible on the common
    > portion.

Thanks.

  CK> I don't recall if there is a socket, but if present I
    > would guess it's PLCC.

That would be ideal, I still have a PLCC 68882 laying about
here somewhere.

  CK> In any case, I'd preferentially just get an
    > accelerator board for it -- much simpler affair. They
    > show up on eBay all the time.

Where would that plug in (if I'm using the PDS slot for a
network card)?

  CK> Same clock. However, there is a very easy way to
    > overclock the entire machine and effectively turn it
    > into a LC3+ (warning: you'll need to make sure you
    > have the right System Enablers installed *before* you
    > do this or the machine will no longer boot)...

Mine is a 33MHz 68882 I think, but it may run okay at 25MHz.
I don't think I'll try overclocking it.

  CK> Speaking of clock chipping, if you have a Mac Plus why
    > not extend it to 1GHz?

I laughed aloud at that one.  My Mac SE is cowering in a
corner at the thought of what I might do when I next warm my
soldering iron! ;o)

  CK> I'd say 300MB is plenty. You can probably get away
    > with as little as 100MB but I wouldn't push it.

I've noticed that some drives have Apple stickers on. Does a
SCSI drive need special Apple firmware to work on a Mac?

  CK> Why not a IIci?

I think I used to use some of those.  Judging by the
information on lowendmac.com it looks like a nice machine,
and would certainly give me more scope for expansion than an
LC III.  I already bought an LC Ethernet card (which is
currently in an LC, but I can't run NetBSD on that ;o)

  CK> 30-pin SIMMS are practically being given away, and
    > compatible with ruddy near everything? :-)

Possibly, but I'd need to find four of them to make a 32-bit
bank of RAM.  With 72 pin SIMMs I can use just one.

  CK> Failing that, perhaps a Q700 ('040)?

Another machine I've long admired. The same SIMM and network
card concerns apply though.

  CK> Stop by the office and I'll see if you should be
    > involuntarily committed. :-)

<grin>

Regards,
  - Andy.