Subject: file system not clean (newbie question)
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: steve <steve@teamronin.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/20/2001 18:18:07
hi there.  i have been the middle of a install of NetBSD on a mac
workgroup server 80 (33mhz quad 800 based with 16meg ram) for 2 days
now.  i d/l'd the files and followed the instructions from Matthew
Theobald's excellent install page -
http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/theobald/ to the letter, but i
swear after my second time doing a full install from scratch (4 hours
at a shot), i am stumped by the same problem:  after the install goes
with no problems, i boot single user into BSD and get to the mount
/dev/sd0a part and the error message:

/dev/sd0a/: file system not clean (fs_flags=0); pls fsck(8)

ok, so i fsck and reboot and it's back again, same error message. it
will mount after i fsck, but gets corrupted/dirty when i reboot.  i
think i read somewhere that mfsk doesn't make partions that are
clean-bit(?) but the installer needs that particular formating?  what
does that mean and how do i fix this?  i'm sure this doesn't happen
on every install or there would be more about it on the net.

i just rebooted again to see if there was any error messages in start up:

probe(esp0:2:0): check condition on CDB: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00
SENSE KEY: Hardware Error
ASC/ASCQ: Diagnostic Failure on Component 0x02

i guess this isn't good.  disk error? (i'm still picking up Open
Source speak, so please bear with me. <g>)

thanks in advance - i'm looking forward to this working and putting a
old warhorse server back into action.

cheers!

steve
--