Subject: Re: can't su to root!
To: Patrick Tepesch <ptepesch@stny.rr.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/20/2001 09:13:00
On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 12:29:21AM -0400, Patrick Tepesch wrote:
> I understand what was wrong now.  I just had the wrong format in my
> group file.  Instead of a comma, I had a colon.  I don't understand how
> the groups command was returning me as being a member of the wheel group
> when that was wrong.  Is the group information stored somewhere else
> besides the /etc/group file?

Yes.  The second number after your login name in /etc/passwd (and
/etc/master.passwd) is your primary group ID.  If you had that as 0,
then you'd be implicitly in 'wheel'.  That's not good enough for su,
though, which wants to see your name on the line in /etc/group.

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service
NetBSD dev. for _your_ Alpha, ARM, M68K, MIPS, PowerPC, SH3, Sparc, x86, etc...