Subject: boot problem
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Patrick Tepesch <ptepesch@stny.rr.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/20/2001 01:58:09
This is a bit complicated, sorry for the lengthy description...

I had netbsd running on a 660 AV with the original 80MB hard drive
internal (id 0), a 500MB external hard drive (id 6), a zip drive (id 3),
and an external cd drive (id 4) on the scsi chain.  netbsd is installed
on the external hard drive.  Everything worked. (so, of course, I had to
fiddle some more!)

I switched my external drive to the internal bay (replacing the original
internal drive) and unplugged the rest of my scsi devices.  When I try
to reboot into netbsd, it can't mount the swap partition (it says device
not configured).  It then tries to run fsck, but can't and dumps me into
a sh without finishing the boot process.  My usr partition won't mount.

I put the old internal drive into the external case and plugged it into
the chain (now both drives are on the scsi chain again).  That does not
work either.

If I then also plug the zip and cd into the chain (so back to the
original scsi chain with the internal and external drives switched),
netbsd boots without any trouble!

I don't have a clue.  I was hoping to turn this box into a headless
router without any other devices plugged in, so I'm also frustrated.

Patrick