Subject: Use for m68k Macs
To: Eric J. Feldhusen <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: John <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/16/2001 18:51:43
>   So, I'm curious, how many people on this list use their mac68k as a/the
> focal point of their networks?

I use a Quadra 650/800 for my IP NAT router for my home network of about
ten computers. I use another Quadra 650/800 for building binary packages
for the NetBSD package tree.

Further, I have helped people set up a number of m68k Macs for learning
Unix and testing all sorts of software.

As a matter of fact, there's an InstallFest happening on Thursday in New
York City. I'm bringing several Quadras for people to use. If anyone on
the list is interested in coming, please email me.

Aside from being ideal learning tools, they're also quite adequate for
email servers, DNS, and low traffic static web sites.

One of my Quadras does run backup DNS and act as a backup for email. It
also runs sshd on the telnet port so that some of my users that are behind
a firewall at their school can connect there securely, then connect
securely from there.

Also, since my primary colocated server is an m68k (68060 Amiga), it's
always nice to have other m68k machines on which to test software.

Finally, the distributed.net project has separate stats for m68k NetBSD:
http://stats.distributed.net/ogr-25/platformlist.php3?view=tco

The m68k groups are doing alright; we passed the OpenBSD SPARC group for
about a day. If your machines are idle most of the time, consider running
a dnet client!

Thanks,
John Klos