Subject: Re: Re-reading /etc/hosts or /etc/rc.conf
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/11/2001 23:57:08
On Wednesday, April 11, 2001, at 12:20  am, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> Really, trust me, set your hostname to "gellum" and change your MUA
> settings. It's the Right Way. It is possible to have sendmail (or
> whatever you replace it with--Postfix and qmail both provide a
> sendmail call-alike function) remap all outgoing email with a
> specific return domain name (keeping the username), but I don't
> remember how to do that off the top of my head. (Many MUAs just call
> the userland sendmail to pass their outgoing mail, which is arguably
> the Right Way to go about things. This does NOT run sendmail as a
> server, it merely asks it to make the SMTP connection to the next
> server down the line on the way to the recipient of the email.)

I downloaded and configured pine, and, precisely as you said, it all
works wonderfully.

However... whilst pine was downloading and compiling, I hunted for
several hours to find out how to adjust the From setting in Mail, to no
avail. And pine is a little too full featured for some quick mails.

Could someone please let the cat-out-of-the-bag and tell me how to do
it? Surely there is a simple setting in .mailrc ?

Thanks, all the best.

Matthew