Subject: Re: Re-reading /etc/hosts or /etc/rc.conf
To: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/10/2001 13:35:43
> > /etc/rc.conf changes demand a reboot, since it determines startup
> > settings.
>
> This is annoying as I wish to change the domain associated with the
> machine for email purposes, but was quite enjoying my uptime.

Ah, vanity. :-P

There are two ways to do this for E-mail. You can always use hostname(1)
to alter the hostname as long as you make an analogous change to the
rc.* files so that it doesn't forget it should your marvelous uptime come
to an unforseen halt.

You can also make a change like this to sendmail.cf if you want your
system's real name to be one thing and the name on sent mail another.
This is obscure and might be a bit troublesome, but look at this:

# my official domain name
# ... define this only if sendmail cannot automatically determine your domain
#Dj$w.Foo.COM
# remove this when floodgap is operational fully
Dj$w.ptloma.edu

Since stockholm thinks it's in floodgap.com, and I still want it to send
mail from ptloma.edu for delivery purposes (which is what it resolves to
externally anyway), I fiddled with the Dj entry in sendmail.cf to force it
to use ptloma.edu for mail but stay in floodgap.com for all other operations.

Just something for you to think about.

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser@stockholm.ptloma.edu
-- Schizophrenia beats being lonely. ------------------------------------------