Subject: Re: Re-reading /etc/hosts or /etc/rc.conf
To: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/10/2001 16:51:15
On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 01:35:43PM -0700, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
> You can also make a change like this to sendmail.cf if you want your
> system's real name to be one thing and the name on sent mail another.

Um... this shouldn't matter for sent mail, since an SMTP envelope
address has mighty little to do with the host from which it was
actually sent (just set the right thing in your MUA and you're done...
having your MTA rewrite this is a bit messy and not so much TRT).

For mail to get *back* to the right place, though, your MTA (such
as sendmail) needs to accept mail as that hostname (and needs to
be listed as the MX for it too).

> # my official domain name
> # ... define this only if sendmail cannot automatically determine your domain
> #Dj$w.Foo.COM
> # remove this when floodgap is operational fully
> Dj$w.ptloma.edu

The Postfix version is to add the host to the list in $mydestinations
(set in main.cf, unless you've moved it for your local setup, but
you'll know where it is then).

I mention this because there was at least talk of shifting to
Postfix being the standard MTA for NetBSD, though I don't know if
that's happened (yet).

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net