Subject: Re: newbie question - multiple ethernet|scsi cards
To: Stephen Harris <sharris1@my-deja.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/10/2001 14:54:16
> I'm considering building a firewall/fileserver out of an old mac, and I want
> to be relatively sure it can do the job before I start assembling the pieces.

You probably don't want to have a single machine be both a firewall and
a file server.  The reason I say this is that a firewall's main duty is
to limit the traffic to and from your network--you want to have a good
idea exactly what it's doing at all times.  You also expect that hackers
will be hitting it.

A fileserver, on the other hand, generally contains data that you want
to keep.  This is not the machine that you want hackers pounding on...  ;-)

> Can a 68k mac (like an 840av) have and use multiple ethernet cards?

Yes.

> What about SCSI cards - can it make use of more than one at a time?

Theoretically, yes.  Practically, no.  There are no supported SCSI cards
at the moment.  I almost had one working (I think), but never had time
to bang on it more and I don't remember where I left it...

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service
NetBSD dev. for _your_ Alpha, ARM, M68K, MIPS, PowerPC, SH3, Sparc, x86, etc...