Subject: Installation
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Randy Beaudreault <maccult@pacbell.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/29/2001 20:57:49
I'm working on adding to the NetBSD guide and more specifically
adding pertinent information about both sides of Mac installation.
In this light I ask has anyone tried installing NetBSD via sysint on
a 68k Mac?  And what are the limitations to using the Mkfs/NetBSD
Installer combination?  I know about Mkfs not handling partions
beyond root, usr, and swap well.  What about the Inode thing when
installing on a partition that starts at over 1G with the installer?
Any other limitations to this combo?  Any problems with the sysint
method on 68k Macs?  I have been following the posts on port-macppc
regarding the problem that sysint is when doing the recommended
install.  Is this a problem on the 68k Macs?  Thanks for any info.

Related, but off topic, I also encountered a problem with the
Installer method when I tried booting
into NetBSD after attempting this method of install: 6 partitions on
the HD; HFS for the Mac; root, user, var, tmp, and swap for NetBSD.
Why did the booter have problems with this?  These partitions were
set up on a 1G external hd.  After a couple of attempts at this, I
went back to two NetBSD partions, root and swap, and that worked just
fine to boot.  Why is this so?

Randy