Subject: Re: Printer Serving was Re: PhoneNet
To: Randy Beaudreault <maccult@pacbell.net>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/28/2001 20:09:01
On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 04:10:04PM -0800, Randy Beaudreault wrote:
> Thanks for this.  I was wondering if I could have an original
> LaserWriter served by a NetBSD box,

Can that LaserWriter not be connected via a serial line to the
NetBSD machine?

If so, you should be able to, but it seems like you'd have done
that, based on this:

> Since I'm the topic of printer serving, I could have my
> ImageWriter II served by a NetBSD box or any serial printer correct?
> And having set up this service I could print to the ImageWriter from
> any other machine (specifically a Q800 or G4) that was networked to
> the printer server?

Yes.

But I don't know how to do it off the top of my head.

I expect either Netatalk's or CAP's printing component will be
necessary.

(I've seen a LaserWriter 31x set up this way on a Linux/i386 machine
that was useable by macs, but I wasn't the one who set that up.)

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net