Subject: Re: PhoneNet
To: Randy Beaudreault <maccult@pacbell.net>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/28/2001 18:23:24
On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 06:43:08PM -0800, Randy Beaudreault wrote:
> Does NetBSD support PhoneNet or is that something that is LocalTalk
> equivalent and thereby unsupported at this point?

PhoneNet is just a brandname for specific LocalTalk equipment. (It
sends the network signals via RJ-11 terminated twisted pair rather
than a mac serial cable, but it's doing the same thing.)

LocalTalk is pretty much a dead (hardware) standard, and AppleTalk
is fast dying, vaguely replaced by AppleTalkIP, so I wouldn't bet on
NetBSD ever supporting the hardware (especially since speaking IP
over it is not exactly prior art).

       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net