Subject: Re: nubus_attach() probe problems on LCIIs
To: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@acm.org>
From: Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/28/2001 16:07:16
On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Michael R. Zucca wrote:

>I think the reason this is happening is that on the LC's the PDS slot is
>mapped at $E but for some reason, MacOS or the ROM shadows it at $A and $C.
>Other Macs exhibit this odd behavior as well.

That at least makes NetBSD's behavior make sense for me.  Who knows why
Apple did it though.  =)

>To get around this, I think it would make sense to put a little bitmask in
>the machine description structs in machdep.c. The bitmask could indicate
>which nubus slots actually exist for a machine. Then, the nubus probe code
>could check that code and probe just the slots that exist. Though, there's
>the funny case of a duodock which can change the number of slots it has
>depending on whether its docked or not, but I suppose the structure could
>be updated at run-time for Duos.

Not that I imagine that many people are running NetBSD on undocked Duos
since it's onboard video isn't supported.  I've got a Duo 250 I'd love
to run NetBSD on, but not until I can get it away from a serial console.
What's the use of a serial console only OS on a laptop?

--
Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a