Subject: Re: Install kernel & HFS
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
From: Jeff Wyman <wysoft@wysoft.tzo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/22/2001 19:34:46
> What do you mean when you say it spit in your face?  Did it format an HFS
> partition or tell you that it couldn't and abort the installation?  It
> shouldn't have done a format on an HFS partition but it should have
> complained and aborted without doing any damage to the MacOS side.

It provided no prompt at all as to which partitions it would format. I
suppose I was sort of dumb to assume that it would skip over my MacOS
partition when I said "Yes" to begin formatting, but it only seemed
logical. Soon enough, it was formatting sd0a, my MacOS partition.

> Because of a problem associated with the BSD in-core label the
> Installation Kernel can't partition the disk and then proceed with an
> installation of NetBSD without rebooting between the partition phase and
> the installation phase.  As for documentation on the Installation Kernel
> method of installation, you can find it at:

So, if I partition my system and then reboot into the Install kernel
AGAIN, it should leave my MacOS partition alone when formatting?

I thank both you, Bob, and Fredrick for the help.