Subject: Re: Install kernel & HFS
To: Jeff Wyman <wysoft@wysoft.tzo.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/22/2001 19:54:22
On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Jeff Wyman wrote:

> How can I tell the Installation kernel to skip over my HFS partitions when
> formatting. I tried the Install kernel from 1.5, and after creating by
> NetBSD Root&Usr and Swap, it moved on to the partitioning phaze and spit
> in my face by beginning to format my MacOS part. :(

Ouch! I'm told the current installation kernel forces you to to reboot
between partitioning and newfs'ing, in order to prevent that.

> I haven't seen any mailing list posts in the archives about this, neither
> have I found much documentation on the Install kernel (I may be looking in
> the wrong places), so I'm quite unsure of what to do. I get a bit tired of
> doing that > 1gb MacOS Installer workaround.

There was quite a bit of discussion about this problem. Try searching
the mailing list archive for "sysinstall". There's also a big warning
in the LAST_MINUTE file for 1.5 and 1.4.3
<ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5/LAST_MINUTE>. I'm sorry it
got you. I hope you lost nothing irreplaceable.

Frederick