Subject: Re: 1.5 on a Mac SE/30
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Shawn D'Alimonte <sdalimon@home.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/21/2001 19:44:30
On Wednesday 21 March 2001 04:32, Hauke Fath wrote:
> At 6:13 Uhr +0100 21.3.2001, Noah Dunker wrote:
> >I'll wait to hear from others on this.  If no one has tried it,
> >I will take one for the team.  I have a friend that runs one
> >SE/30 with 1.4.x on it, and a batch of Quadras, and he says 1.5
> >reportedly messed with the performance of Quadras, specifically
> >SCSI, I believe, and hasn't upgraded yet.
>
> Those problems are fixed in the 1.5.1 sources. Tell him there is a
> 1.5.1 ALPHA replacement kernel on

I am running plain 1.5 on my SE/30.   I use the SBC kernel since it
works better with the HDD.  Runs great considering the whole system is
former garbage[1] except for the case the CDROM drive is in.

I even ran X on it.... once.  The initial xterm was bigger than the
screen.

The only problems I have had are that my HP scanner crashes it and the
HDD give errors once and a while (It has bad sectors and won't properly
initialize in MacOS...  I just partitioned around them but there are
others I am sure).

Details:
Mac SE/30
8MB RAM
160MB (MacOS) and 750MB (NetBSD) HDDs
Cabletron E5020 network card (Needs modified ae driver.  I posted info
a while ago).
MacOS 7.5.5 (From Apple's ftp site)
NetBSD 1.5

[1] I named it Trashcan