Subject: /dev/urandom and openssh
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Stefan Jeglinski <jeglin@4pi.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/20/2001 10:43:41
Well, despite suspecting this is again off-topic, the only relevant
hit in a search of all the archives was on port-mac68k. And browsing
tech-security didn't seem like the place either. So here goes...
1.4.3 on a IIcx.

I have built and installed openssl, and built openssh. When I try to
install openssh I get a message (or is it 2?):

I need "a working /dev/urandom"
I need a kernel "compiled with pseudo-device rnd on."

 From the archives of 6/2000:

>  > Are there drivers for /dev/urandom included in the GENERIC kernel?
>
>I believe you will need to build a kernel with pseudo-device rnd. It's
>enabled in GENERIC only in current and 1.5; a pull-up has been requested
>for 1.4.3.

I noted that the default conf already has pseudo-device rnd on, but I
recompiled the kernel with it on again anyway. This did not change
anything (sort of expected), so the kernel compile switch is not the
answer.

I note that there is no /dev/urandom on my system. Was there
something I missed in the standard mac68k 1.4.3 install? Or is there
some other undocumented step I need to do to create this dev? I think
it is the real solution to the openssh install.

Also in the archives, I saw a reference to cyrus-sasl, so I built and
installed that as well, but no help in the end.

Stefan Jeglinski