Subject: Re: shutting down a centris 660av
To: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
From: Emile Schwarz <emile.schwarz@wanadoo.fr>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/18/2001 08:02:45
Hi John et al.,

Sorry John, but I think there is something you do not see (afford, know,
understand. Since I do not understand very well english and I do not have my
translator here, I cannot use the appropriate word, but read the following and
you will understand ;-:) )

I just verify on a Quadra 800 to avoid giving false information:

Take a look at the Power On / Off “Push button”: you will see a large "thing"
where you can put a standard screw-driver. This allow the user to lock ON the
Power On / Off button.

>From memory, this buttons is here on all Macintosh II (for sure in IIcx, IIci,
Quadra 700). I am quite sure this exist on all soft powered Macintosh (the
Macintosh that you can power on in pressing the Keyboard "Reset" key).

This feature exists also on the original PowerMacintosh 8100/80.

Why Apple do install this feature ?

Very easy answer: they sold AppleShare File Server and so when the Power went
off (for so many reasons that I will not list them) say... because electricity
went down for some seconds (or minutes...) or went low (micro-off), the
Macintosh starts again.

[Once more, I do not know each and every words I need nor the english grammar so
please pardon me where my sentences are not crystal clear]

_BUT_ since you wrote you do not use a genuine Apple Power Supply Unit, the one
you use may not have that "feature" and this may be - one of - the reason why
you do not know this "feature". (a.k.a. this may not be your fault at all and it
is not ... we do not know everything, we have to learn everyday to add to our
knowledge !)

HEY, that’s the reason why "an option in the Energy Saver control panel for
restarting automatically in the event of a power failure" is here !

My turn to ask (if you allow me):
Why are you using ATX power supply ?
And how do you connect it ? (Same "plugs" / connectors and same Volt / Ampere
and so on ?)

Emile
France