Subject: Re: shutting down a centris 660av
To: Emile Schwarz <emile.schwarz@wanadoo.fr>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/18/2001 00:00:45
> You get the “You can now safety shut down your Macintosh” (something like that)
> only if you use a Macintosh that must be shut down using the Power On/Off
> button. On each and every other Macintosh: no message.
>
> Example:
> All original Macintosh design except Macintosh Classic Color (I’m quite sure
> it’s the only exception) so since Macintosh 128 to Macintosh Classic II.
>
> All Macintosh II and Quadra 700, 800 and so on do not show this message!

This seems to be in the ROMs of all Macs; if you take any soft power Mac
and wire it to a power supply that's always on, it'll come up with the
same message after a few seconds (I've wired more than one Q800 with an
ATX power supply).

But rather than worry about soft power on, I'm more concerned with always
on. PowerMacs generally have an option in the Energy Saver control panel
for restarting automatically in the event of a power failure, and it would
be nice if whoever figures out some code for the soft power feature can
allow us to set that option.

To me, this feature is more important because... well, because of obvious
reasons - NetBSD makes for great servers. If the power went off at the
internet / coffee shop (hypothetically, because I wired the ATX to always
be on, and I have a UPS), I wouldn't want to have to run down there just
to restart it.

Thanks,
John Klos