Subject: LaserWriter and lpr
To: netbsd/mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Philip Brodd <pbrodd@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/17/2001 01:32:25
I have a Personal LaserWriter NTR connected to my IIcx 1.5 system via a
9-pin Mac serial cable.  I can print PostScript files using 'cat file.ps
> /dev/tty01' so I've established that there is a connection and that
the hardware is working on both ends.

Now I'd like to use lpr printing and, hopefully, make this a print
server for the rest of my network (a mix of NetBSD, OS 9, and OS X
machines).  To that end I used this entry in /etc/printcap:

lp|laser-NTR|Personal LaserWriter NTR:\
	:lp=/dev/tty01:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lp:\
	:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
	:br#9600:\
	:mx#0:\
	:rw:\
	:sh:\
	:fc#0000300:\
	:fs#0000041:

I just found this out on the net, so I'm not sure of its validity.  I
created the directory /var/spool/lp, and restarted lpd.  At first I got
an error that /dev/lp does not exist.  Someone suggested that I just
make /dev/lp a symlink to /dev/tty01, and doing so got rid of the error.
Now when I try, say, 'lpr file.ps' the LaserWriter's ready light blinks
for several seconds and the file is queued, but nothing ever prints.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Phil Brodd