Subject: Re: shutting down a centris 660av
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/16/2001 23:42:05
At 16:06 Uhr +0100 16.3.2001, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
>The only reason switching off without shutting down is so taboo in
>MacOS is that it doesn't check the file systems after a reboot by
>default. (Well, actually, I think MacOS 9+ do, but you're pretty
>obviously not running that.) This means you could power down your
>computer, lose data, even damage a file system, and not find out
>till the OS trod on the damaged portion of the file system and blew
>up in your face.

Excuse me?

If you have ever experienced an unclean shutdown (like in "another Netscape
hang") and seen that the 7.x Mac takes twice as long to come up, with a
great deal of disk noise, then you know that there _is_ some kind of disk
cleanup happening.

1st Aid and Norton (<= 2) cover the severe cases, but that does not mean
the MacOS cannot help itself.

I have definitely had my share of crashes over the years, and with very
little disk corruption, too.

	hauke