Subject: Re: 4Q: pkgsrc from scratch
To: Stefan Jeglinski <jeglin@4pi.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/15/2001 10:45:24
On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

> >The thing is, the second file would usually be accessed as
> >
> >	#include <machine/endian.h>
>
> meaning there is a typo? Or something more complex?

No. It builds for me on 1.4.3/mac68k. I put up a binary package last
night. The problem is something on your system.

> >The real question is, how did
> >"HAVE_ENDIAN_H" get defined when you have no "/usr/include/endian.h"?
>
> Indeed. I do have endian.h in /usr/include/mac68k, so it's simple
> enough for me to make the fix it would seem, but I'm not sure if I
> would somehow break something else. Does this sort of discrepancy
> creep in often to pkgsrc? (Clearly a question for the tech-pkg list,
> I guess; I'll head on over there).

Do you have a "/usr/include/endian.h"? Or some other "endian.h" in
your include path?

> >On my system, 1.4.3/mac68k, configure says "checking for endian.h...
> >no". Do you have CFLAGS or CPPFLAGS set to something strange?
>
> in ../../security/openssh/work/openssh-2.5.1p2/Makefile, neither
> CFLAGS nor CPPFLAGS looks funny, and elsewhere there is certainly no
> def of HAVE_ENDIAN_H that I can see, and I have changed nothing since
> I downloaded pkgsrc, except make and install openssl (and its
> assorted dependencies, which were all done automatically).

Gnu "configure" defines HAVE_ENDIAN_H if it finds "endian.h". Look in
"config.log"; the test for "endian.h" is supposed to fail.

If you were improperly extending your include path somewhow, by
setting CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/include/mac68k in your environment or in
/etc/mk.conf, as unlikely as that sounds, that would explain it.
Otherwise, I really can't imagine what the problem is.

Frederick