Subject: Re: 4Q: pkgsrc from scratch
To: Stefan Jeglinski <jeglin@4pi.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/14/2001 12:05:11
On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
> If these 4 questions are in a FAQ, I'd love to be chastised about
> posting here (especially if you include a link that answers my
> questions :-).

I don't think there is a FAQ for fine details of pkgsrc.

However, your questions are not mac68k specific. It would be best if
you would post future pkgsrc questions (and follow-up) to "tech-pkg".

> ====> Registering Installation for openssl-0.9.5a
> openssl-0.9.5a requires installed package p5-CGI-2.75
>
> Question 1: There are 3 more p5 packages and 3 perl packages listed
> here also. I'm betting these are the other packages that were
> automatically downloaded and built. The question is, assuming they
> were really built, were they actually installed?

Yes. That's what "installed package" is supposed to mean. If it didn't
install for some reason, it would stop here.

> Question 2: Apparently, after 'make install' I can do 'make package'
> to create a binary of what I just built. I have a second IIcx I'm
> installing on, and I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Following up
> on Q1, if they are already built, can I just go 'make package' on
> each of the listed p5 and perl packages?

Yes. Even better, would have been if you had done "make package" in
the first place. Then it would have made packages for all packages it
installed. It's too late to do that now, though.

> Question 3: If I continue along this pkgsrc route of building
> everything, I assume it will accelerate, because with each package I
> build, I end up satisfying more and more dependencies that cause
> fewer and fewer downloads as I build the thing up, no?

Maybe, maybe not. Many packages are going to take a long time to build
on a IIcx all by themselves, and there's about 1500 total, and
counting. And then see what happens when you have to update some
package that a lot of other packages depend on, such as "perl",
"ncurses" or "png".  (You'll have to rebuild the top-level package.)

> Question 4: All these sources are just generic, I'm sure. Is there
> some switch I should be adding to each pkgsrc Makefile to optimize
> for the 030?

The environment variable "CFLAGS" will be passed down to the specific
package's build system, so you could try setting that, say by "export
CFLAGS=-O2 -m68030". Many packages don't respect that, it may induce
other problems since it's rarely used, and it "poisons" the packages
for other m68k machines (if you had any intention of sharing them), so
it's probably not worth the trouble in the general case. It may be
worthwhile to try for something which tends to be processor-intensive,
such as "openssl".

Frederick