Subject: Re: 4Q: pkgsrc from scratch
To: Stefan Jeglinski <jeglin@4pi.com>
From: brendan burns <bburns@wso.williams.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/14/2001 11:39:07
I'll try to cover these based on my own pkg-src experiences

> ====> Registering Installation for openssl-0.9.5a
> openssl-0.9.5a requires installed package p5-CGI-2.75
>
> Question 1: There are 3 more p5 packages and 3 perl packages listed
> here also. I'm betting these are the other packages that were
> automatically downloaded and built. The question is, assuming they
> were really built, were they actually installed? Or do I have to go
> do a 'make install' on each of the ones listed? If so, do I then come
> back and do a make install on the openssl package? This is all just
> a little vague for me.

My experience is that doing a make install in the package directory (in
this case openssl) will install all necassary packages.  You can always
check this with the "pkg_info" command.

> Question 2: Apparently, after 'make install' I can do 'make package'
> to create a binary of what I just built. I have a second IIcx I'm
> installing on, and I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Following up
> on Q1, if they are already built, can I just go 'make package' on
> each of the listed p5 and perl packages?

Yes, alternatively you can use the pkg_tarup application which builds a
package from installed packages.  (its in pkgsrc/utilities i believe)

> Question 3: If I continue along this pkgsrc route of building
> everything, I assume it will accelerate, because with each package I
> build, I end up satisfying more and more dependencies that cause
> fewer and fewer downloads as I build the thing up, no?

Yes, Also if you look at the pkgsrc .html files they will show you what
the build and install dependencies are for every package you might want to
install and you can figure out if some of these packages (like perl) have
already been built.  (I know perl is used as a build dependency for a ton
of packages...)

> Question 4: All these sources are just generic, I'm sure. Is there
> some switch I should be adding to each pkgsrc Makefile to optimize
> for the 030?

Hmm, not sure, you could always hack the Makefile to include the
appropriate -arch flag to gcc...

Hope that helps,
Brendan