Subject: 4Q: pkgsrc from scratch
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Stefan Jeglinski <jeglin@4pi.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/14/2001 11:27:55
If these 4 questions are in a FAQ, I'd love to be chastised about
posting here (especially if you include a link that answers my
questions :-).

On a IIcx, I did the basic install of 1.4.3 binary files, everything
but the X stuff. First thing I want to do is get openssh going so I
can log in remotely. Although I found an openssl binary, I found no
openssh binary, so I decided to go this pkgsrc route where I
basically download and build everything. I started with openssl and
have finished the make. Along the way, it went and got a lot of stuff
and appeared to compile that stuff too, obviously for dependencies, a
lot of it apparently perl-related. I have now done 'make install' and
that appears to have worked fine, but I get this message:

====> Registering Installation for openssl-0.9.5a
openssl-0.9.5a requires installed package p5-CGI-2.75

Question 1: There are 3 more p5 packages and 3 perl packages listed
here also. I'm betting these are the other packages that were
automatically downloaded and built. The question is, assuming they
were really built, were they actually installed? Or do I have to go
do a 'make install' on each of the ones listed? If so, do I then come
back and do a make install on the openssl package? This is all just
a little vague for me.

Question 2: Apparently, after 'make install' I can do 'make package'
to create a binary of what I just built. I have a second IIcx I'm
installing on, and I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Following up
on Q1, if they are already built, can I just go 'make package' on
each of the listed p5 and perl packages?

Question 3: If I continue along this pkgsrc route of building
everything, I assume it will accelerate, because with each package I
build, I end up satisfying more and more dependencies that cause
fewer and fewer downloads as I build the thing up, no?

Question 4: All these sources are just generic, I'm sure. Is there
some switch I should be adding to each pkgsrc Makefile to optimize
for the 030?

Stefan Jeglinski