Subject: Using a PC monitor on a Macintosh
To: The Macintosh 68K NetBSD list <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Emile Schwarz <emile.schwarz@wanadoo.fr>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/13/2001 20:31:40
Hi all (Marcus, Oliver and others)

This morning, I had to connect a PC Monitor to a Macintosh for my nephew (son of
my brother) this morning.

He brough a PC/Macintosh video adaptator and come with an old PC monitor.

The video adaptor came with a piece of paper that someone can call it
"Intructions"... [ :( ]

The video adaptor have some On / Off interruptor that the user have to put on
some place to get some video.. (not clear ? Normal, it waasn't clear on the
“Instructions” card !)

My nephew told me he cannot get any video...

I use a Quadra 700 (...) for the tests.

The video adaptor had no brand (and was sold on FNAC store in France)

Back to what I’ve done and the results...

I set the On / Off interruptors using the instructions for NORMAL and VGA/SVGA.

In the interruptors I used, the On / Off were:
On:   2,3,6,7
Off:  All other interruptors...

I power on the PC Monitor, then the Quadra 700.

The used system software was MacOS FU-8 (or FU-8.1 ?)

Because the battery on my Quadra 700 was down, I boot on black and white and set
the colors back using the Monitor Control Panel.

When I was there, I click on an option button (I don’t know the US name of that
button in the Monitor Control Panel, but it is really easy to find it).

The choices were: 640 * 480 or 800 * 600. I stay on the former. I do not change
the Gamma or another choice.

After some talks with my nephew, I show him the 800 * 600 mode and set the mode
back to 640 * 480 telling him he now knows how to change it.

Nota:
If you make some testings, be sure to reboot after making the changes in the
video adaptor (Macintosh ROM test the presence of a monitor at early boot time).

Please, note that using the 4, 7 and 10 pins (with metal paper click or diode)
on the Macintosh video port can force Macintosh to VGA Mode... BUT a problem
remains with the different size of the connectors (PC / Mac use different size
and kind of video connectors).

If some people need more information, please ask me (on the list or to me
directly) and wait some days for a complete answer (as complete as I can...).

I need some days because I have to search very old (MacWrite files) Apple
TechNotes, wait to allow time for people to read this and ask more answer.

Last note: some years ago I build a Macintosh video to European TV Scart to
watch on my TV screen the Macintosh video: as PAL, but Quadra 700 can also send
NTSC video signals. Other Macintosh can also generate other video signal than
just 640 * 480...  ;-)