Subject: RE: Kernel 1.5-32 and Quadra 700 -- Problems
To: J. Seth Henry <jshenry@net-noise.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/12/2001 14:55:03
On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, J. Seth Henry wrote:

> I would suggest you stick with the 1.4.1 kernels on any model Quadra. I have
> a Q800 with 1.4.1, and it still runs like a champ. It also runs on a Q700
> *with* the mouse plugged in. (that's what I was using before I got the Q800
> logic board on eBay :) So, my recommendation would be 1.4.1 for your
> hardware.

Big secret -- the latest release on the 1-4 branch is _1.4.3_, and the
branch is still active! If there's a problem with 1.4.3, 1.4.4_ALPHA,
1.5, or 1.5.1_ALPHA, please file a bug report. I see only three open
PR on Quadra's: one is about a particular brand of mouse, and two are
in feedback state and presumed fixed.

> I haven't played with 1.4.2 or 1.5, but I've heard that Quadras have
> problems under these later kernels (it has been well covered on the mailing
> list) It does seem that Quadra's are actually less supported now than in the
> past. If I had enough coding experience, I would take a look at it - but I
> am merely a lowly sysadmin.

By all means, try 1.4.3. Much of userland (sendmail, dhcp, bind) is at
the same level as 1.5, which came out at about the same time, the
chief difference being that the old kernel source base has gotten a
lot more testing. It was supposed to beat 1.5 out by months, but there
were "last-minute" security fixes that delayed 1.4.3 time after time.
Therefore, anything older presumably has gaping holes.

Frederick