Subject: Re: Kernel 1.5-32 and Quadra 700 -- Problems
To: Scott Boone <Scott@ScottBoone.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/12/2001 08:25:01
At 6:17 Uhr +0100 12.3.2001, Scott Boone wrote:
>I am getting this error VERY frequently (actually, I whole bunch of ones
>SIMILAR to it, I just grabbed this as an example):
>
>sd0(esp0:0:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x0a 00 2c 10 10 00
>    SENSE KEY:  Recovered Error
>   INFO FIELD:  11292
> COMMAND INFO:  3604808 (0x370148)
>     ASC/ASCQ:  Peripheral Device Write Fault
>         SKSV:  Actual Retry Count: 1
>
>The Check Condition statement varies, but the majority end in 10 10 00. Is
>there a possible pattern here? My termination and cabling are fine. The
>drive is an Apple-OEMed IBM. I had 0 problems running 1.4 before moving to
>1.5.

This is -current, right?

>It is rather disturbing that 1.5-release WOULDN'T EVEN BOOT my Q700, and
>even more disturbing that nothing was mentioned in the FAQ about such a
>limitation. Isn't that what the FAQ is for? [January 25, 2001 mac68k list]

You're probably right in that serious problems with -release should
probably qualify as FAQ entries. Ping Colin Wood, he's the FAQ maintainer...

Nevertheless, for this class of problems, searching the mailing-list
archives is worth while: The Q700 issue was discussed at length.

To quote myself (25.1.01):

| Here we go:
|
| http://www.tangro.de/~hf/macbsd/  (item 6)
|
| http://www.tangro.de/~hf/macbsd/netbsd-kern-151-alpha.tar.gz
|
| is a mac68k 1.5.1ALPHA GENERICSBC kernel without sunos compat.
| It has the pr#11000 fix and Allen's esp performance update.

>Or should I just say screw it and reinstall the 1.4 release and forget about
>1.5 altogether?

Don't mix up -current and 1.5... The kernel abov should work fine for you.

	hauke