Subject: Re: serial console troubles...
To: Paul Treadwell <paul.treadwell@stonebow.otago.ac.nz>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/10/2001 13:58:58
On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, Paul Treadwell wrote:

> >>login
>
> <snip>
>
> >kill 1
> >
> >would work for that. (It shuts you down to single-user mode.)
>
> I tried this, unfortunately I still get "incorrect login". Once I'm in
> single user mode it works fine !

Those are debugger commands. The context you snipped explained how to
get into the debugger (Ctl-Cmd-Power or debug switch). Together, it's
the answer to question of how to get out of NetBSD gracefully when
you can't login. 'reboot' from the debugger works, too, of course, but
then you'll be back where you started.

Obviously there's something wrong with your installation. Have you
tried re-installing etc.tar.gz, as Allen suggested?

Frederick